Too many books

a blog about books I'm reading and other things

Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Thousand Acres


Title and author of book: A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley

Fiction or non-fiction? Genre? literary fiction

Setting: farm country Iowa, 1979

What led you to pick up this book? The description on the back of the book sounded interesting

Plot summary: A farmer gives his land to his 3 daughters and one backs out. The family starts to unravel with this.

What did you like most about the book? I can't think of one thing I liked most. I didn't care for this book that much

What did you like least? I didn't care for the tone and dark nature of the books. I thought about quitting it but never did. Many parts were boring for me.

What did you think of the writing style? Too dark and boring, in my opinion

Which of your readers are most likely to enjoy this book? Why? Some fans of literary fiction or those who like dysfunctional family stories

Have you read any other books by this author? What did you think of those books? I've read Greenlanders, which is a totally different book. That book is a historical novel set over several generations in Greenland. I liked this book much better.

What did you think of the main character? I guess the main character was Ginny, who was the narrator and oldest daughter. She didn't seem that interesting to me.

Any other particularly interesting characters? Jess, a neighbor who returned after being away many years.

If this book has been made into a movie, and if you’ve seen the movie, compare the book to the movie.:I just found out it was made into a movie and put it on my Netflix list. Even if I didn't enjoy the book, I'm interested in seeing what the movie is like

What did you think of the ending? It was set in the future and tied some things up.

Do you recommend this book? If you use a rating system, what’s your rating? Personally, I didn't like it but I can see that others would. 2/5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<