Too many books

a blog about books I'm reading and other things

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Giants in the Earth

I learned about this classic book after a discussion on a book group about Laura Ingalls Wilder and someone mentioned this book about pioneer life in the Dakotas. The book was written in 1924 in Norwegian by a Norwegian immigrant and later translated to English.
It falls the lives of several Norwegian families setting up a life on the Dakota prairie. I felt this book had a dark undertone, especially with the depression that one woman, Beret, struggled with. It was mostly interesting but some parts were slow too and it took me a month to get through this book. The ending was a little surprising. I thought it was going to end one way but it ended another.
I love historical sagas and although this was not my favorite, I still enjoyed it a lot.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    I loved this book. Our book club nominated this for our October Classics month and even though it did not win I was intrigued enough to pick it up on my own and read it. The beginning, about their life settling on the praire and how they helped each other out was fantastic. The middle with Beret's depression got a little long, and the ending blew me away. I did NOT see that coming!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<