Too many books

a blog about books I'm reading and other things

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rumspringa

























Another book that I would have not probably read if my book wasn't reading it. Rumspringa is a time that Amish teenagers go and experience the world and see if they would still like to be baptized in the Amish faith. I learned a lot about the Amish and their faith through this book. The chapter on shunning and why it is done is very interesting. I liked the real life stories and was much less interested in the experts opinions. Why the Amish go through rumspringa is interesting too. I want to see the documentary, The Devil's Playground, which is about some of the Amish highlighted in this book.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:59 AM, Blogger Teddy Rose said…

    I saw the The Devil's Playground and it was quite good. Boy do those kid party hardy. They really need to see more of real life to decide though. You know, adult responsability outside of the Amish community. They can't party their entire lives.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Pilgrim Soul said…

    I saw the documentary, too, and found it fascinating. I'll have to check out this book!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<